Intellectual Property Rights and Assurances
The contest is open to all participants who are eighteen (18) years of age or older. The Panel of Judges, employees of Reed Elsevier, its parent, subsidiary and affiliate companies, their advertising and promotional agencies, the immediate families of the foregoing and other persons residing in the household of such employees are not eligible to enter this contest.
Any personal data of the participants collected by Elsevier will only be used for the performance of this contest, unless the participant explicitly agrees otherwise, for example to receive marketing and promotion information.
The sponsor of this contest is Elsevier BV, Radarweg 29, 1043 NX Amsterdam, The Netherlands. No Elsevier subscription is necessary to enter or win the contest, and subscription to Elsevier products does not improve chances of winning.
- All participants retain ownership of any software they develop or any other intellectual property rights they create; these will not be used by Elsevier unless there is explicit agreement with the participants regarding this use (see point 6).
- Likewise, semi-finalists/finalists are free to publish papers in journals of their choice or create presentations describing their submissions (including relevant excerpts from the Elsevier material where appropriate and with the proper acknowledgment of the source).
- Elsevier will not make the content of the submissions available to any outside party except the Panel of Judges of the contest.
- Elsevier warrants that use of the Elsevier material in accordance with the terms and conditions therein will not infringe the intellectual property rights of any third party. Elsevier shall indemnify, defend and hold harmless the participant from and against any loss, damage, costs, liability and expenses (including reasonable attorneys’ fees) arising from or out of any third-party action or claim that use of the Elsevier material in accordance with the terms and conditions therein infringes the intellectual property rights of such third party.
- Elsevier retains all right, title and interest in and to any materials which Elsevier provides to participant in connection with the contest. Participants may only use such materials for the purposes of this contest and for the duration of this contest. If participants use non-Elsevier materials, they are responsible for securing the necessary rights to use such non-Elsevier materials for the purposes of the project. Participants warrant that the submission is original, that it has been written by the stated authors and has not been submitted elsewhere, that the submission contains no libellous or other unlawful statements and that it and does not contain any materials that violate any personal or proprietary rights of any other person or entity.
- Elsevier shall be granted the right of first refusal for the exclusive commercial development of any finalist’s submissions.
LIMITATIONS OF LIABILITY/RESERVED RIGHTS.
Neither Elsevier, its parent, subsidiary or affiliate companies, nor its advertising or promotional agencies shall have any obligation or responsibility with regard to (i) submissions that contain incorrect or inaccurate information or do not comply with these rules, (ii) submissions, prize claims or notifications that are lost, late, incomplete, illegible, unintelligible, damaged or otherwise not received by the intended recipient, in whole or in part, due to computer or technical error of any kind, or (iii) telephone, electronic, hardware, software, network, Internet or computer malfunctions, failures or difficulties, or (iv) any damages or losses of any kind caused by any prize or resulting from participation in the contest or acceptance, possession or use of any prize. Elsevier, in its sole discretion, reserves the right to disqualify any person tampering with the submission process or the operation of this Web site or otherwise violating these rules or any applicable law. Elsevier further reserves the right to cancel, terminate or modify the contest if the contest cannot be completed as planned because of infection by computer virus, bugs, tampering, unauthorized intervention or technical failures of any sort.
Cookies are set by this site. To decline them or learn more, visit our Cookies page.